As I was trying to get inspiration this week I decided to go to the source of all things Disney and looked up quotes by Mr. Walt Disney himself. If the almost 12 million hits are any indication he is quoted quite a bit. People are inspired by his life and his work. Here is just a small sample:
- If you can dream it you can do it
- The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which make you unique.
- All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
- We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.
- I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
- All the adversity I’ve had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me… You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
- It’s kind of fun to do the impossible.
- The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.
- You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- I would rather entertain and hope that people learned something than educate people and hope they were entertained.
No one wrote it down but he probably said “That’s didn’t work.” “We shouldn’t have done it that way.” And “Has anyone seen my shoe?” But people don’t remember those sorts of things. People don’t write down the things we say when we get things wrong. Possibly because we don’t always say things that are repeatable in polite company. Well quoted people most often communicate in words and phrases that no one quotes at all simply because ‘Pass the salt’ is uninteresting.
Before Walt Disney was THE Walt Disney, he was just Walt, a normal person with big ideas. Most of the people who met him in his early years didn’t write down the things he said to them. They didn’t know he was going to be famous or inspirational. He was just that guy they knew who like to sketch and write. Even after he became famous I doubt anyone followed along after him with a notepad or a recorder preserving everything he said for posterity. We have as many quotes as we do because he was in the public eye. He hosted his own TV show for goodness sake. Some of these amazing and inspirational quotes are probably not spontaneous bits of wisdom that flowed directly out of the mind of Disney, but are carefully constructed phrases by a brilliant writer trying to get a point across.
I do not have my own webpage full of quotes. But every so often someone will quote me. I am always amazed and astonished. I talk a lot and usually my mouth is directly connected to my brain so I mean what I say, but I am somewhat taken aback that people are paying attention. So much so that when someone quotes me days or even months later I am truly surprised. It is flattering enough that people actually want to listen to me speak, but the fact that they make to effort to remember the things I have said is a little bit mindblowing. I am not THE anyone, I’m just me. But even being just me, my words have the power to shape and change the people around me. And if I have that power, it’s quite possible you do to.
We tend to have a good idea who is listening to us most days, but honestly can’t tell who is paying attention. What if we moved through life with the understanding that people are paying attention? They are listening and remembering and filing away what we say for future reference. What would our own personal quote page look like? Would we be impressed or embarrassed? What if someone put beautiful scenery behind our Tweets or our Facebook statuses? Is it inspiring? Possibly not, except for that one or two moments of genius and insight that we threw out into the world. Those 2 or 3 phrases that inspired the people who read or heard them. We may never know who has received inspiration from us, but let us live with the assumption that people are listening. People hear what we say for good or for bad and remember it. There are people who can quote us. Let us make sure that what they say reflects the best of who we are and not the worst.
You can quote me on that.
All Walt Disney quotes are from BrainyQuote. Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/w/walt_disney.html