- Bette Davis was originally cast to play Maleficent in “Sleeping Beauty”.
She backed out because she was worried children would be afraid of her. The animators called on Eleanor Audley (the voice of Lady Tremaine in “Cinderella”) to step in.
2. The first draft of the “Toy Story” story script included Luxo, Jr.
The Pixar lamp ended up being written out of the story because the character is silent.
3. Over 16 Hours of Dialog had to be cut from “Aladdin”.
Robin Williams would improvise so many lines during the recording that editors had to repeatedly recut the film and leave hours of his work on the cutting room floor.
4. “Alice in Wonderland” was almost banned.
The House Un-American Activites Committee flagged the movie as dangerous and subversive. Only by referring to the original source material, which pre-dated communism, was Disney able to save the film.
5. Joss Whedon wrote “Toy Story”.
The writer/director best known for “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” & “The Avengers” was part of the team that wrote the script for our first visit to Andy’s Room.
6. J.M. Barrie voiced Nibs in “Peter Pan”.
The book’s author liked Disney’s adaptation so much he wanted to be part of the final movie.
7. Billy Crystal refused to record with John Goodman for “Monsters University”.
Even though they recorded all their dialog together for the first movie, Crystal refused to do so again citing personal conflicts.
8. Walt Disney hated “Bedknobs & Broomsticks”.
The movie was only made so that the Disney Corporation wouldn’t lose the licensing.
9. The Disney Corporation was sued over “The Great Mouse Detective”.
The movie was deemed to bear too much resemblance to the Sherlock Holmes novels of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle without properly citing the original. It was never re-released.
10. “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” had to be entirely repainted.
Originally all the dwarfs wore the same outfit. Creators found that audiences couldn’t tell them apart in spite of their unique characteristics.
BONUS: Today is April 1st. Only one of the above statements is true. The rest I just made up. Do you know which is which?