As I have grown older, I have been less impressed with the idea that we can start over on New Year’s Day and transform our lives. A new calendar doesn’t really change anything about us. We are the same person we were before midnight and resolutions go from transformative to onerous by the end of the month. With this in mind, I gave them up a couple of years ago. Instead I use the new calendar to refocus on the things that are important to me. I am not becoming a ‘new’ me. I’m the same old me just more mindful of the things that are important to me. So what does this new year hold for Pastor Mouse? I’m glad you asked.
Big plans for 2019 here!
In April I will be visiting my third Disney Resort when the Princess and I arrive at Disneyland Paris. I am both excited and a little nervous to be touring my first Disney park in another language. I have been trying to learn a little French, but have no confidence in my communication skills. I am hoping that Disney is a universal language.
I will also be attempting my first Disneybounding. For those of you unfamiliar with the concept, it means dressing like a Disney character without the use of costumes. Adults are no longer allowed to wear costumes, so people have begun to improvise. So far, I’ve got a really cute Mickey outfit to wear. I’m still working on what else I might do.
There are also a lot of Disney films coming out this year.
- “Toy Story 4” is what I’m personally most excited for. Every movie in this franchise has gotten progressively better so it’s hard not to be excited for the latest installment.
- Disney is also releasing three live action / CGI remakes of older animated features. I have never been excited for these sorts of movies. Some of them have been very good, some less so. Quality aside, it feels like Disney is just recycling rather than creating new content which is disappointing.
- On the Marvel side we get the finale of the Infinity War saga. While I am excited, there is also a sense of inevitability that the events of the last movie will be undone. The new Spiderman movie already has publicity so we know that ‘The Snap’ isn’t so very permanent. Hopefully the journey to the known destination will be interesting.
- Also on the Marvel side we get “Captain Marvel”. I am very excited for this one. Not only do I love movies about powerful women, but Marvel has done a great job minimizing spoilers. I have no idea what’s going to happen in this movie and I like that.
- Finally, the Skywalker Saga ends with “Star Wars: Episode 9”. This has been a long time coming and may be a little bittersweet for me. The loss of my childhood heroes (one in real life) has been hard. The end of this grand story of Empire and Rebellion will end a story that has been part of my life since I was 6 years old.
My big project for the year is to work my way through the catalog of Disney animated features in order. There are (as of today) 57 of them. It looks to be a long term project that is definitely achievable in a year if I stay focused. I am hoping to blog as I go along to compare messages, styles, and over arching themes.
What are your plans for the year? Anything big? Let me know in the comments.